Friday 8 August 2014

Journal Cover

Recently I completed my first Journal Cover.
I've wanted to begin an Art Journal so I can keep a record of all the fantastic ideas I come across, but can take absolutely no credit for the design of this one.

This was designed a couple of months ago, by Gabrielle Pollacco, a Canadian lady who featured this on her blog : Such a Pretty Mess, and kindly gave instructions so others could do this too.

I wrote and thanked her for the inspiration, and can I just say, if you love Shabby Chic as a style, have a look at her wonderful blog.

Here is my attempt at recreating her Journal Cover!
This is a mixed media piece, but not difficult. The first step was to remove the covers from the Strathmore journal I'd bought, and give them a couple of coats of gesso.
Then I added the texture work using stencils :
* Art is ... [Crafters Workshop]
* Checkers [Prima Sunrise Sunset collection].
* Tim Holtz 'Measured' is the strip on the right of each cover.

Then it was adding die-cut gears ... and all these cogs and gears are by Cheery Lynn ...
And then gesso again ...

At this point I'll say a big 'thank you' to the Lovely Ladies in my Facebook card group ... I posted photos every step of the way and they encouraged me every step of the way. Thank you Girls, I really appreciated it. Venturing into new territory isn't easy.

This was early on in the colour-adding part, and I was a bit worried! My browns didn't look right at all.
THINGS GOT BETTER AS I WENT ON!


 
Things looked up though, and by the time I'd toned things down, added the gold highlights [Twinkling H2O ~ Egyptian Gold] and added the gems, [BoBunny], I was thrilled with the end result.





Thank you again to Gabrielle Pollacco for the inspirational ideas she posts on her blog, and thank you all so much, Ladies of the Down Under Stampers, for your support!







No comments:

Post a Comment